Wednesday, March 15, 2017

What the Bible says:::Issue 8

Isn't it funny how things can be misquoted or misunderstood. I mean someone can say one thing and then it gets turned into something totally different. It's like that child's game of Whisper. You know what i'm talking about. When we were kids, we would play this game where one of us would whisper a phrase into another friends ear. Then that friend would whisper the same phrase into another's ear and so on, and so on, until it got back to the original person.  The object of this game was to show how easy it was to spread something but it not be the right tale.  It's all in the telling and the hearing.  

The same can be for bible verses. I have written before about how some preachers will quote it as they heard it, instead of  searching it out for themselves. Same goes for everyone else also. If we don't search it out for ourselves how can we take it at face value.

You may be asking "Where is she going with this?"  Well I have issues with bible verses being misquoted.  It is one of my pet peeves I guess you could say.  Since I study for myself, usually I can hear when it is spoken wrong.  It doesn't hurt to actually get down and look for yourself.  2 Timothy 3:14-17 says we have learnt them from childhood, and that we should know who we are learning from.

So let me enlighten you to a verse that is often misquoted.  It is often quoted as this:::

The lion shall lay down with the lamb.

I have heard it said this way several times over a period of my life. I have heard it preached this way.  But what does the actual verses say?

Isaiah 11:6The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.

Isaiah 65:25
"The wolf and the lamb shall graze together; the lion shall eat straw like the ox, and dust shall be the serpent's food. They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain," says the Lord.

Where does it actually say that a lion will lay with a lamb?  I see that a wolf will dwell with a lamb. Then it also says that the calf and the young lion and the fatling will be together. But no where does it actually say that the lion shall lay with a lamb in either verse above.

I understand what they are trying to say when they quote it this way.  But is it not misleading someone when you say things as this and they (the people) go and repeat it and do not actually know what the verse says? What if you're quoting it to someone who knows not the bible. How would that be teaching them? God is not the author of confusion. 

The true “Lion and the Lamb” passage is Revelation 5:5-6. The Lion and the Lamb both refer to Jesus Christ. Jesus is both the conquering Lion of the tribe of Judah and the Lamb who was slain. When using the description this way it is a picture of Jesus Christ. 

My advice here is to always search out the truth and not just take the sayings of man. My philosophy is, It that is in the bible, SHOW me. 

1 comment:

  1. Never knew that!! You learn something new everyday! Thank you for sharing! I agree you have to be really careful what you believe to be hearsay! There's a book I'm reading by a Jen Wilkin called Women of the Word, if you haven't read it, you should! You would love it! She discusses this a lot! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete