Homeschool and Martin Luther King JR

Today as we all know was MLK JR day. The day that The government set aside for us as a remembrance to this man. So today I decided in our homeschool we would learn a little bit about him. Of course I had to keep it on a first grade level of learning. My son is smart but didn't want to cause to many questions.  So what did I teach him about?

He learned of Martin's birthday which is January 15, 1929, he was born in Atlanta Georgia.

1947 he became a ordained Minister.

1953 he married Coretta Scott, in Marion Alabama.

In 1955-56 He led the bus boycott in Montgomery Alabama. Rosa Parks was arrested for not giving up her seat which was in the negro section of the bus to a white man. This started a year long boycott of the bus systems.

1963 He gave his speech "I HAVE A DREAM" on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial to 200,000 people.

1964 he received the Nobel Peace Prize.

1968 he was assassinated in Memphis Tennessee. While there to lead a peaceful march.

1983 Congress declares the third Monday in January to be a Federal Holiday for remembrance.


This was enough information for my son to take in. I am so glad that my son has a love for learning. We also watched two short videos on Martin.






Homeschooling gives us much freedom to teach what we want and how we want without it being only one sided. There is a whole lot more to this story, but as my son grows so will his knowledge of such Historical facts. History today was fun. Looking forward to Thursday for our next adventure.




The bible tells us to love our neighbors, just as King said, "you fight War with LOVE, not hatred". 

May this bless you today. Leave a comment, we love hearing from you.

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing and I LOVE this post!! It was an emotional day for us learning about Dr. King. He was an incredible example of a Christian man! Thanks for sharing, hope you get time to share History on Thursday! I can't get enough of homeschool posts lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope to find enough things to share on Thursday. Just this week we have a civil rights leader and a civil war hero in one week to study. We are going to try and compare. We will see. Thanks for reading.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Good-Bye, A Tribute

What the Bible says--Issue 2

What the Bible says--Issue 3