Saturday, May 21, 2016

Best bacon ever!!!!

So the other day while I was enjoying my time on the internet, I came across a video from one of my favorite bloggers and fellow home-schooler.  I absolutely love watching The Encouraging Homeschool Mom. If you haven't watched her vlogs or read her blog, your missing out. So anyways, on to my story. I came across her video on cooking bacon. Some of her viewers had told her how to make bacon in the oven. Now she was like me, hated frying bacon on the stove because of the mess that it left. Bacon on top of the stove is very messy, not only to your stove but the floor as well. 

So I watched her video and saw how her bacon turned out in the oven and thought I would give it a try. I didn't have any parchment paper or tin foil to use, so I just put it in the baking sheet.  I use Oscar Meyer Thick Sliced Applewood Bacon. That is what I had on hand at the time. My family loves bacon, but only buy it when it's on sale. To expensive any other time.

FYI a good place to purchase your bacon is at the Grocery Outlet Store aka. Go Grocery.  This store is a discount grocery store. The bacon I used runs around $8.00 in my regular grocery store for 1.5 lbs and at GO Grocery it was only $3.79 for 1.5 lbs.  See the difference. 

Okay back to my experiment. So I filled my baking sheet up with 10 slices, placed it in the oven at a preheated 350 degrees and left it for around 15 minutes. Well lets just say, I had no mess in my oven and the bacon turned out perfectly golden brown, not burnt, unevenly cooked or even a lot of shrinkage. It was just right. **Remember this time limit was for THICK sliced, may need to adjust for regular sliced**

I had removed some of the bacon before I thought to take a picture. But this is the end result of baking it in the oven.


I know that there are others out there that are thinking, people have done that for years, well I am new to the idea of baking bacon. I come from a long history of women that frying bacon and use the same pan they fried the bacon in to make gravy for biscuits with the bacon fat in the pan. I can still use the bacon fat, I will just need to poor it off into a pan to make gravy.  YUMMO to the new way this old gal is making BACON!!! 

Peggy McCoyle
SAHWM and Homeschool Supporter

3 comments:

  1. This looks amazing!!!! I didnt know you could either lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was amazing baked. I am sure many do this but we'll it was my first time.

    ReplyDelete