Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Getting Ready for School

So it didn't go as planned to start the reading program with my son this month. I had planned to start it, but I had forgotten how busy August would be for me and my family. This is the month that we harvest and start canning and preparing for the winter. Everything started coming in at once, so we had to take care of that first.  So here it is, one week away from September.  I will begin everything the day after Labor Day with him. At least he had a nice long summer, that was care free.  Now it will be time to buckle down.

We didn't not just do anything over the month of August.  We got a lot of reading in as far as me reading to him. Also found that Netflix has a show that I grew up watching called Reading Rainbow. We started watching that as part of our daily routine. We watch Sesame Street, Reading Rainbow, and Word World.  Then for fun he gets to pick from Wild Kratts or Magic School Bus, as his last show of the day. I want to make sure that he is getting at least some learning. We don't watch these things everyday, but I do try to get them in between our busy schedule. We learned about chain reactions, and the Butterfly Effect. He learned about Narwhals and even a song about them.We did lots of bible schools over the summer, so he learned lots of new songs and bible stories. He learned of a few new dinosaurs that he didn't know about, like the Aahanguera "old devil" in the language of the Indians. The learning was there, it just came in sporadically. 

Some of the books we have read this month is:

No Cats In This Book   by: Vivian Schwarz

You Are Special   by: Max Lucado

Armadillo Rodeo  by: Jan Brett

The King Of Little Things  by: Bil Lepp

The Napping House   by: Audrey Wood

Mama Rex And T Stay Up Late  by: Rachel Vail

The Boy Who Changed The World  by: Andy Andrews

Crankenstein  by: Samantha Berger

Little Elliot, Big City  by: Mike Curato

These are not all the books that we have read just some of the most recent ones.  We try and get at least a book in every day or maybe two or three, just depends on time.  Reading is a big part of life and without the knowledge to do so, you will miss out on so much.

I am in the process of getting at least 12 weeks of school prepared. My friend Mary Ann would be proud. She is usually the one that works that far ahead in her planning. But this year since it will be new to me as well as my son, ( I have only taught middle and high school homeschooling) I am trying my best to be prepared for each day.  So Mary Ann, you many have rubbed off a little this go around.

So here is to learning this Kindergarten year with my son. I know that God will bless in more ways than not. Keep us in your prayers. We are going to need them. Blessings to all that read this blog.

Peggy McCoyle
SAHWM, Homeschool Supporter


2 comments:

  1. I was SO excited about reading rainbow on netflix! My kids LOVE it! what a blast from the past! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Reading Rainbow, I just wish they would offer more episodes. Also wish they would offer The Magic Tree House. I found some RR books at a thrift store so I snatched them up.

    ReplyDelete