Monday, August 25, 2014

Head-coverings! Is the topic.

Head-coverings. This has been a topic laying on my heart for a long time now and it just keeps growing. In the bible, in the book of  

1 Corinthians 11: 5  But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

11:6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.


So you see Paul is speaking here about how a woman should cover her head when she prays or prophesies or she should be shaven.   But then, 


1 Corinthians 11:13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?

Paul is asking a question here also about head-coverings.  He asks is it comely?  Lets see what that word "Comely" means.  Lets look to the Strong's Concordance for what the Greek word is for "Comely" in this question.  The Greek word is πρέπω meaning prepó (prep'-o) a verb meaning "tower up," "be conspicuous," – properly, stand out, be conspicuous, especially in a way that is suitable ("fitting").

So Paul is saying,, "Is it proper, or fitting for a woman to pray uncovered?"   So you see here it suggest that we as women should cover our heads when we are praying or prophesies. But then he goes on to say in 

1 Corinthians 11:15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.  

Paul tells us here that her hair is "given her for a covering." In the Greek the word is περιβόλαιον, ου, τό meaning peribolaion  (per-ib-ol'-ah-yon) a noun meaning "a wrapper, mantle, veil, cloak, covering". 

So if our hair means that we are covered and when I pray my hair falls down around my face and I am covered, does that mean that I still need something other than my hair to also cover my head?  You see I have been struggling with this for sometime.  I do not always wear my hair down, so when I pray at times my face is not covered. I am bowed with my face down but not covered.

I have friends that wear coverings and they do it because it is God's calling not only from this passage of scripture but because God has called them to do so, or because it is what is done by women in their families (their Belief).  They are beautiful in their coverings but is it what the Lord wants from all women?

Praying the Lord will show me the way on this, as He always leads me.

Peggy McCoyle
SAHWM and Homeschool Supporter



 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post! I have been thinking and reading a lot about modesty; particularly skirts vs. pants and if pants are something I should purge from my closet. It's been tricky trying to figure out why I'm suddenly concerned about this and how to go about doing it (or if I should) and how I'll explain myself if I do. I don't even know how to bring it up with my husband, lol!

    ReplyDelete