To Be Bridled!




When we think on the word bridle, most of us think about a horse's bridle. We seldom ever hear it used in any other way. However the Bible speaks of it at least five times and only one of those times is it talking of a bridle for a animal. So you are probably asking yourself, "Where is she going with this?". Well lets examine what that word means and how the Bible deals with that word. I use the King James Bible for my bible to study.



What does the word bridle mean anyways according to the bible? The word BRIDLE means 1. The instrument with which a horse is governed and restrained by a rider; consisting of a head-stall, a bit, and reins, with other appendages, according to its particular form and uses.

2. A restraint; a curb; a check.

3. A short piece of cable well served, attached to a swivel on a chain, laid in a harbor, and the upper end drawn into a ship and secured to the bits. The use is to enable a ship, when moored, to veer with the wind and tide.

Now that we have a understanding of what the KJV meanings is we can continue.


In Psalms 39:1 I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me.






Here we see that it says I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me. Here we are being warned about how wickedness, we are being told to watch our words, because even the wicked are watching us to see how we behave. They will take what we say and twist and turn it to be against us. Sometimes it may be necessary for us to be silent, not to even try to save the situation by speaking good words. Its hard to keep your mouth quiet when you know that your flesh is telling you to go ahead and have your say. I myself dealt with this last week, I could have lashed out with rage and spoke words that I knew I would later regret. But, I took hold of that bridle and I restrained myself from confrontation. To show impatience is a sin, and when we loose that control we are showing we are not willing to be patient on the Lord to handle the situation. The bible goes even further...
In James 3:2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.


Here we see that we are to bridle the Whole Body. What does that mean? you ask. It is speaking of the Whole Man, the New Man. The tongue is a fire that is hard to put out. If you can control that you can control what your whole body does. We must have divine grace to assist us in this. This is the proof of whether nature and our self-will is under control. An unruly tongue is dreaded, because we know what harm it can cause. It is doubtless that some can achieve this, that is why Paul states that "the same is a perfect man". He doesn't say it is impossible just that it is extremely difficult.

When you start to tame one sin, others will surly follow, if you have the strength to pull on the bits a little and let the Spirit lead you. At times the tongue will prove to be wrong, it will at times it will pretend to do all things in Christ and then turn right around and put even good people down if they don't do the same. So do you see why its so important to tame your tongue? We must speak with purity, peace and be full of good works. Such are the characteristics of heavenly wisdom. 

Let's start pulling back on our reins and letting the bit in our mouth grip a little tighter to try a little harder to be that perfect man. Let's learn TO BE BRIDLED!!

I hope that this has been a blessing to someone. It is what God laid on my heart today, after having a very interesting conversation about sewing our lips shut at times when we think we need to say something, but God says not now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Good-Bye, A Tribute

What the Bible says--Issue 2

What the Bible says--Issue 3